When it comes to buying saree blouses, the options are seemingly endless. With so many different styles and fabrics available, it can be a bit overwhelming when trying to figure out which one is right for you. We get it; finding the perfect blouse is hard. But not to worry! We’ve got your back with this ultimate guide on how to buy a saree blouse that fits your body type and budget.
Whether you’re looking for something casual or fancy, we’ll let you in on all of the insider secrets to picking the best one for you. Keep reading for our ultimate buying guide on everything you need to know before buying a saree blouse.
What’s the difference between a saree and a saree blouse?
A saree is the entire garment and includes the blouse. So when you buy a saree, you’re really buying a saree with a blouse. When you buy a blouse alone, it’s called a “pnj blouse” which stands for “pant nij” (no saree). A pajama blouse, on the other hand, is traditionally worn as a casual piece and features unlined top and loose fitting sleeves.
Important factors when buying a saree blouse
- Fit – The most important thing to keep in mind is that the blouse needs to fit you properly. It should not be too tight or too loose, but should be sitting in the right area on your body. The length of the blouse should hit slightly above the knee and the sleeves shouldn’t be too long or too short. Not only does the fit of the blouse make a huge difference to the overall look of your saree, but it also helps you feel comfortable. So be sure to pick a size that fits you well no matter what your body type is.
- Fabric – This may sound obvious, but you need to buy a blouse that is made out of the same fabric as your saree. It may seem like a silly mistake, but it is surprisingly common. Not only will it make your blouse look mismatched, but it could also stain your saree if you don’t have a blouse that is made out of a stain-resistant fabric like silk.
- Color – The color of your blouse has the ability to make or break the look of your saree. Be sure to pick a color that compliments your saree and is not too bright or too dull.
- Style – Apart from the fabric and color, you also need to consider the style of your blouse. It should match the look of your saree and reflect your personal style and preferences. You can choose between a long blouse or a short blouse, but keep in mind that a short blouse will only look good on certain body types. Even you can drape a velvet shawl on side in winter to make whole look classic.
Saree Blouse Fabric Options
- Silk – Silk is a very popular fabric choice for saree blouses because it is easy to maintain and is highly durable. It is available in a wide range of colors and has a beautiful drape. Silk is a natural fabric that is made from the silkworm’s cocoon which is a sustainable source. It is available in a variety of weaves including raw silk, crepe, and satin. Raw silk is the most affordable of the three and is more durable compared to the other two. Silk is a bit heavier than cotton, but is breathable and easy to wash and iron. It is a luxury fabric, so expect to pay a bit more.
- Cotton – Cotton is one of the most popular fabrics in the world, and it is no wonder that it is also a saree blouse fabric option. It is easy to maintain, available in a variety of colors, and is very affordable. Cotton is a naturally occurring fabric made from the cotton plant. It is a breathable fabric that is easy to wash and iron. Cotton is available in different weaves such as crinkle, chiffon, georgette, and crepe.
Tips for Finding the Right Fit
- Keep your body type in mind – The best way to find the right fit for you is to know and understand your body type. Certain body types look better in certain styles. For example, curvy women can look beautiful in an A-line blouse or saree whereas an apple shaped body type looks great in a fitted blouse.
- Get your blouse tailored – Even if you buy your blouse in the right size, it is always a good idea to get it tailored. Sarees are traditionally wrapped around the lower half of the body, so you’ll need a blouse that is slightly shorter than you would wear with a normal shirt. Also keep in mind that the blouse will grow in size after washing, so keep that in mind when choosing your size.
How to Buy at Indian markets?
Indian markets are a great place to buy high-quality blouses and sarees at a lower price point. You’ll find a wide variety of blouses that are not only stylish but also made of high-quality fabrics like silk and cotton. The only downside is that you won’t be able to try the blouse on before purchasing it as Indian markets don’t have dressing rooms.
Make sure to keep these things in mind when buying at an Indian market:
- Be open-minded – Be open-minded when shopping at an Indian market and try out different styles and fabrics. You never know what might end up being your favorite blouse!
- Know what you’re looking for – It makes it easier if you already know what style of blouse or saree you are looking for. If there are certain fabrics that you prefer, then make sure to keep an eye out for them.
- Be prepared to try on several blouses – Be prepared to try on several blouses until you find the one that is perfect for you. It can be a time-consuming process, so be sure to have some extra time on your hands.
Saree Blouse Style Options
Blouse Styles – There are many different blouse styles available, so you’re sure to find one that suits your taste. Here are some popular blouse styles:
- A-line – An A-line blouse is a very popular style that suits a wide variety of body types. It comes in many fabrics and styles, so there’s sure to be one that you like.
- Fitted – A fitted blouse is a great style for apple-shaped body types as it slims down the stomach area.
- Semi-fitted – A semi-fitted blouse is a great style for those who want something between a fitted and an A-line.
- Shift – A shift blouse is a great style for those who want something looser. It is semi-fitted at the top and loses at the bottom.
- Loose – A loose blouse is a great style for those who want a more casual look.
How to Pick the Right Material for Your Designer Saree Blouse
Saree blouses are usually made of silk, cotton, or a combination of the two. While silk and cotton are the most common fabrics used, you may also come across other fabrics like viscose, polyester, and linen. Blouses with synthetic fabrics such as viscose and polyester are very affordable, easy to maintain, and machine washable.
Although they are cheaper than natural fabrics like silk and cotton, these synthetic fabrics have a low-quality feel to them. If you’re looking to splurge on a designer saree blouse, then silk and cotton are the fabrics you’ll want to look out for. These fabrics are not only luxurious and high-quality, but they also last a long time and are easy to maintain.