The new year is a great time to pick up a new hobby. We’ve written about some of the best crafts for beginners! But if you’re looking for something new and creative to do with your free time in 2019, here are 10 hobbies that will make you feel like an artist, no matter your skill level:
If you’re a jewelry lover, then it’s time to get crafty. Here’s how to make your jewelry from scratch! First, you’ll need the proper tools: pliers, wire cutters, and an awl (a pointed metal tool that pierces holes in fabric or leather). Then, start by choosing one of our designs and following its directions. Once you’ve made your piece of jewelry, take it home and wear it proudly! If you want to give someone else something handmade for Christmas or another occasion, have some fun shopping around for more unique pieces at thrift shops or antique stores—and don’t forget about online retailers like Etsy as well!
Leather crafting is a great hobby to take up for many reasons. First, it’s a great way to express yourself creatively, whether you decide to create something complex and detailed or simple and bold. Second, leather crafting allows you to get creative in other ways. Whether your project requires some patience or just some elbow grease and determination, leather crafting will challenge you both as an artist and as an artisan. Last but not least, leather dye and crafting can be profitable! You don’t necessarily have to sell what you create (though if the thought of making money has crossed your mind … this is one way that it could happen). You can also use what you make for gifts or decorations for friends or family members who appreciate handmade goods as much as we do here at HoboLobo!
Painting is a hobby that can be done with little to no cost if you get creative. You can paint on canvas, paper, wood, or anything else and use a variety of paints including oil, acrylic, and tempera. With painting your imagination is the limit!
- Paint animals: This can be as simple as painting an elephant or dog and getting started with these beginner’s paintings that are perfect for kids and adults alike.
- Paint landscapes: If you want to show off your artistic skills then try this “Pastel Landscape Painting Kit For Beginners” from Amazon which also comes with step-by-step instructions on how to complete each piece of art in this set. The best part about this kit is that it contains all the materials needed so no need for expensive supplies!
- Abstracts: If abstract art isn’t your thing but still wants something creative there are always watercolors! These “Acrylic Watercolor Paint Set by Crayola” are easy-to-use because they come out of their bottles like toothpaste (no mixing required).
If you’re looking for a hobby that will keep your hands busy, an embroidery is a good option and Christmas embroidery patterns are great places to start. You can use embroidery to decorate garments, accessories, and even home goods like pillows or blankets! To get started with this crafty hobby, all you need are some basic supplies:
- A needle (which can be purchased at any craft store)
- Thread (or yarn) in the color of your choice
- Fabric that’s been cut into squares or rectangles—these pieces don’t have to match perfectly; just make sure they’re all about the same size so your project looks balanced!
Knitting is a great hobby to take up in the new year. Not only will you be able to create beautiful items like scarves, blankets, and sweaters, but knitting can also help you relax and unwind after a long day of work. The process of knitting is very calming and relaxing. Many people find that it helps them concentrate better on tasks at hand as well.
Sewing is one of the most popular crafts among beginners; it’s easy to learn and can be used for a variety of purposes. You can make clothes for yourself, and your family, or even sell them if you’re so inclined. If you don’t want to spend money on expensive curtains or bedsheets, sewing Liberty Tana Lawn fabric yourself is a great way to save money!
Sewing is also a very relaxing hobby—if you’re feeling stressed out at work or school, take some time out during your lunch break and sew something beautiful that will brighten up your home. If nothing else, this craft will help pass the time while waiting in line at the grocery store.*
Pottery & Ceramics
If you are looking for an artistic and creative hobby, then pottery or ceramics may be a good choice. Both pottery and ceramics are forms of clay crafts. Pottery is created by firing clay in the kiln with temperatures ranging from 1,000 degrees Fahrenheit (Celcius) to 2,200 degrees F (C). Ceramics is created by mixing clay materials like water, sand, and small pieces of wood ash with a small amount of flint. The mixture can then be molded into any shape desired before being fired in the kiln at high temperatures that range between 1,200 degrees F (C) to 2,300 degrees F (C). After it has been fired in these high temperatures, the piece becomes hard as stone but retains its original form.
There are many reasons why people choose to take up this hobby: some enjoy creating beautiful objects with their own hands or just want something new; others find it relaxing; still, others simply appreciate all aspects associated with this art form such as painting their creations when they’re finished! Whatever your reason may be for wanting to try out this crafty pastime—we hope that you’ll enjoy yourself as much as we do every time we get together for our monthly pottery classes!”
Origami is the art of folding paper into various shapes. It’s an ancient Japanese art form that has been practiced since at least the 17th century, and there are many different types of origami material. Some people make origami figures for fun, while others use them as a way to express their creativity. You can make anything from simple shapes to complex objects just from folding paper!
You can also get creative with your materials: if you don’t have any origami paper lying around, try using magazine pages or old maps instead!
Calligraphy & Lettering
- Calligraphy & Lettering
Calligraphy and lettering are the arts of writing or drawing letters. You can learn how to write letters beautifully, use different fonts and styles, and use calligraphy pens, markers, and brushes. You can also use different types of paper and ink.
Stained glass is a very old art form that has been used to make windows, lamps, and other decorative items. You can buy stained glass kits or make your own. There are many different colors of stained glass you can use to create your piece, including reds, greens, blues, and yellows (to name a few). If you’re interested in learning how to make stained glass but aren’t sure where to begin – look no further! This article will provide some great information on how this unique craft works as well as some helpful tips for getting started with making it at home.
Crochet is an easy hobby to learn and can be used for tons of different things. You can make blankets, clothing, home decor, and more. If you have a crochet hook and some yarn in your bag, you’ll always be prepared for something fun to do during carpool or on a plane ride. Crochet is also a great way to relax!
- Make furniture. You can easily make a coffee table, a bench, or even a chest using wood.
- Make bowls and spoons. Wooden bowls are great for serving soups, while wooden spoons are perfect for cooking or baking with.
- Make boxes or trunks. Wooden boxes look beautiful in any room of your house, while trunks are great if you have some old clothes that you want to store away safely!
- Make chairs and benches! Woodworking is an excellent way to get into DIY projects at home; it’s fun and easy once you get the hang of it!
Embroidery is a great hobby to take up in the new year, especially if you have a lot of spare time on your hands. It may be intimidating at first, but it’s not too difficult to learn the basics of embroidery and how to get started with it.
- A basic sewing kit with scissors, needles, thread, and pins
- Embroidery hoops (optional)
- This a project that you can use as a guide to learn how to embroider
Pick up a new hobby!
- Pick something you enjoy.
- Pick something creative and/or crafty.
- Pick something different from your day job.
- Pick something you can do at home.
- Pick something that uses your hands and/or mind, both are good for the brain!
There are so many crafts out there to try! If you’re looking for something new to get into in 2019, try one of these crafting and creative hobbies. You can even start small with a few projects—say, making a quilt or painting your house—and work up from there.